This is a katana signed Hitachi no Kami Fujiwara Jumyo made by the sandai Shinto Jumyo of Shimizu, who also may be the nidai Jumyo of the Ishikiri lineage.


                                                                                            JUMYO WAKIZASHI IN HANDACHI MOUNTS






                                                                                                               The kozuka and waribashi that match the fittings.


                        This has a gunome choji hamon becoming o-midare in the monouchi that is typical of Jumyo swords.  A predominate o- masame, o-itame jihada.


            This is the mei found on the kogatana. There is a hollyhock (Aoi) mon with a mei indicating  Okimasa Kotetsu of the Nakasone Ryu. This in itself is from a significant smith and exhibits a kesho-yasuri kasurime, notare hamon and is ichimai.


             The Ninteisho Kicho-Token paper dated Sept. 11, 1966 refers to this wakizashi of  Ishaku Yonsun Nibu Gorin (43.18 cm) as being attributed to the Jumyo school.

             This is a wakizashi in Handachi mounts done in a silver alloy (rogin) with a nanako ground. The kozuka for the kogatana and the wari-bashi follow in the same pattern. The tsuba is shakudo with a gold washed Fukurin in silver that also has a nanako ground. Rogin is a silver alloy like Shibuichi.

             The blade has an itame-masame jihada with a gunome hamon.

             This sword and Koshirae are currently being restored and polished. I will post the pictures of the finished work when it becomes available.


             Above is the translation of the Origami for the sword. Kindly translated and highlighted by Morita Kiyoshi Sama whom I thank profusely.

Polishing has been completed by Woodrow Hall at Robert Benson's shop in Honolulu, HI.  www.bushidojapaneseswords.com

                                                               Here are some pictures that do no justice to the quality work done. Polished in the Sashikomi style.







                                                                                                                       JUMYO O-KOGATANA



                                                                                                          This large Kogatana has a nagasa of 16.2 cm.


                                                                HOKKYO KOANSAI JUMYO







                This wakizashi was made by the shodai of the Kondo line. Signed nijimei as he was not yet a Buddhist priest and had not adopted the name Hokkyo Koansai. This was when he was made a Buddhist priest in Tenna 3.  He went by the name Kondo Sozaemon prior to this. He died in  Genroku 16 (1703) at the age of 84.


                                                                                                                            MINO no KUNI


                                                                                                            A Map Showing the Location of Mino Province


                                                                 THE JUMYO HA (SHIMIZU HA)                                                                           

         The Jumyo-Ha is one of the Kaji that existed from the very earliest days of the Mino Den and were found in Saigun (county) and predominantly in Shimizu village. It seems that the Shodai, Zaemon no Jo (Jumyo 1) of this line came from Yamato sometime before Kengen (1302) the date generally accepted as the start of the Mino Den and is one of the forerunners of the Mino tradition. He was extant from Sho'o (1288) to Tokuji (1306). There may have been other Kaji working with this name subsequently including some associated with the Toshinaga Ha of Kawado ( the kanji can be read Jumyo or Toshinaga). Many smiths at this time had come from Yamato and this  may explain the amalgamation of the Yamato tradition with the Soshu tradition, eg.Kaneuji of the Tegai Ha of Nara, Yamato is a good example. Kaneuji (1284-1344) came from Nara as well where he studied under Kanenaga. Around 1314 he studied under Okazaki Goro Masamune (1264-1343) in Kamakura. Kaneuji moved to Shizu in 1319.



                                                                                                     KOTO PERIOD

      SHODAI- extant Sho'o (1288) to Tokuji (1306)      through Hisanaga (Father or Grandfather?), Noshu Hisanaga

                           signed- Jumyo, Noshu Onogun Sai-gun Junin Jumyo

        NIDAI- extant Bunpo (1317) to Kenmu (1334)      Mino and Etchu (son?)    

                           signed- Jumyo

       SANDAI- extant Shohei (1346) to Shohei17 (1362). Sai-gun group.    JUMYO III

                           signed- Jumyo

       YONDAI- extant from Shohei17 (1362)                                              JUMYO IV

                            signed- Noshu Sai-gun Ju Jumyo

        GODAI ?- extant around Oei (1394)  Son of Muneyoshi    (relationship ?)

                            signed- Noshu Ju Jumyo Muneyoshi, Sai-gun Ju Jumyo, Noshu Shimizu Ju Jumyo

        ROKUDAI ?- extant around Shocho (1428)

                             signed- Jumyo Munetsugu

                                                                        CONTINUING LINEAGE

                      JUMYO- extant around Choroku (1457)

                                      signed- Yamato Kuni Jumyo

                      JUMYO (KUNIYUKI)- extant from Joji (1362) to Bunchu (1372)

                                                              signed- Noshu Ju Fujiwara Kuniyuki, Jumyo Kuniyuki

                     SUKETSUGU- extant around Kakitsu (1441)  of the Saigun group but Jumyo Ha is unclear 

                    There is some kind of relationship between the Jumyo Ha and Toshinaga Ha of Kawado village where some kaji within that group also used Jumyo as a family name. The kanji 'mune' in their nanori is also found in the Aksaka Senjuin group as well as the kanji 'tsugu' which emerges in Seki in the name Kanetsugu.

                       MUNETSUGU (JUMYO)- extant around Kakitsu (1441)    Toshinaga group

                                                                   signed- Jumyo Munetsugu, Muneyoshi

                       JUMYO (SEKI)- extant around Tenbun (1532)  son of Munetsugu, lived in Shimizu

                                                    signed- Jumyo

                       JUMYO- extant from Tensho (1573) to Bunroku (1592), lived in Shimizu

                                       signed- Noshu Shimizu Ju Jumyo

                       JUMYO (IWAMAKI)- moved from Shimizu to Kiyosu, Owari around 1596 and then on to Nagoya. This is the Shodai of the Owari Jumyo line (see Owari-Jumyo).

                       KANEUJI (BISHU)- extant around Tensho (1588), moved from Shimizu to Inuyama, Owari.

                                                         signed- Inuyama Ju Kaneuji, Bishu Ju Kaneuji Saku

                       KANEUJI (BISHU)- extant from Bunroku (1592) to Keicho (15960, also moved to Inuyama, Owari

                                                         signed- Bishu Inuyama Ju Kaneuji

               Other smiths that may have been in the Jumyo line (Shimizu)  Sukemune, Sukeyoshi

                                                                                                       SHINTO PERIOD

                   JUMYO (HITACHI NO KAMI) I-  Kanei (1624) Shimizu

                                                          Hitachi no Kami Jumyo

                        JUMYO (HITACHI NO KAMI) II - Kanbun (1661) Shimizu  also Kozuke no Kami II

                                                         Hitachi no Kami Jumyo, Kozuke no Kami Jumyo

                        JUMYO (HITACHI NO KAMI) III- Jokyo (1684) Shimizu   2nd in Ishikiri line ? 

                                                         Hitachi no Kami Fujiwara Jumyo

                        JUMYO (KAWACHI NO KAMI)- Manji (1658)

                                                         Kawachi no Kami Jumyo, Kawachi no Kami Fujiwara Jumyo

                         JUMYO (KOZUKE NO KAMI) I- Kanei (1624) Shimizu

                                                          Kozuke no Kami Fujiwara Jumyo

                         JUMYO (MINO NO KAMI)- Kanbun (1661)  Mino and Ozumi provinces

                                                           Mino no Kami Fujiwara Jumyo, Noshu Ju Jumyo, Noshu Seki Ju Jumyo

                         JUMYO (SAGAMI NO KAMI)- Kanbun (1661)

                                                           Sagami no Kami Fujiwara Jumyo

                          JUMYO- Tenbun (1681) to Genroku (1688) b. 1619 d. 1703   Mino and Owari provinces

                                                            Hikogoro Jumyo, Noshu Ju  Hikogoro Jumyo, Hokyo Koansai Jumyo

                                                                                                          ISHIKIRI LINE

                           JUMYO (TANGO NO KAMI)- see Shodai Owari- Jumyo

                           JUMYO (HITACHI NO KAMI) III- Jokyo (1684)  Shimizu   2nd in Ishikiri line ?

                                                              Hitachi no Kami Fujiwara Jumyo

                            JUMYO- Kyoho (1716)  Shimizu, Mino  3rd in Ishikiri line

                            JUMYO- Kanpo (1741)  Shimizu, Mino   4th in Ishikiri line

                                                               Kozuke no Kami Jumyo

                            JUMYO- Horyaku (1751) to Anei (1772)   Shimizu, Mino   5th in Ishikiri line

                            JUMYO (MINO no KAMI)- Anei (1772)   Shimizu, Mino   6th in Ishikiri line

                                                                Mino no Kami Jumyo

                                                                                                            KONDO LINE                                                                                              

                             JUMYO (KOANSAI)- Kanbun (1661) to Tenwa (1681)  Mino     maybe 1st in Kondo line.

                             Was named Kondo Sozaemon, became Buddhist priest Tenwa3 (1683) Hokkyo. b. 1619  d.1703

                                                                 Jumyo, Hokkyo Koansai Jumyo

                              JUMYO-  Kanpo (1741)   Mino   3rd in Kondo line

                              JUMYO- Horyaku (1751)  Mino   4th in Kondo line

                              JUMYO- Anei (1772) to Kansei (1789)   Mino   5th in Kondo line

                              MUNENAGA (SHIMIZU)- Kanbun (1661)

                                                                   Noshu Shimizu Ju Jumyo Munenaga

                               SADATSUJI (SHIMIZU)- Keicho (1596)

                                                                   Noshu Shimizu Ju Sadatsuji


                                                                                                                                  OWARI no KUNI


                                                                                                             A Map Showing the Position  of Owari Province



      In the Koto period there was a group of smiths in Sai county of Mino derived from the Ko-Seki line that are known as the Jumyo Ha of Mino or the Shimizu Ha (the name of the village). There was a migration of many Mino smiths to Owari (Bishu) during the transitional period when the Imagawa clan was defeated by Tokugawa Ieyasu and Takeda Shingen and Hideyoshi's general Fukushima Masanori was in control of the province of Owari. The Jumyo Ha (in the person of the Shodai-Kondo Sukezaemon {Iwamaki Jumyo}) moved to Kiyosu (Keicho era) and eventually to Nagoya (Kanei5-1628) where a new castle had been built by Tokugawa Ieyasu (finished 1614). The Shodai received the title "Tango no Kami" in Nagoya  This Ha lasted aprox. five generations in the Shinto period.





       SHODAI- b. Tensho7 (1579) in Mino. Lived in Shimizu and was first in the Ishikiri line. d. 1663 (84) in Nagoya.

                           signed- Noshu Ju Jumyo, Ganmaki Jumyo, Tango No Kami Fujiwara Jumyo

        NIDAI- extant around Tenwa (1681-1684) to Genroku (1688-1704)

                           signed- nijimei, Hokkyo Koansai (later)

        SANDAI- d.Kanpo Mizunoto1 (Year of the Boar) 1743

                           signed- nijimei

        YONDAI- d. An'ei Kanoe-ne (Year of the Rat) 1780

                           signed- nijimei

         GODAI- extant around Anei (1772-1781) to Kyowa (1801-1804)




                             KOTO                                                                          SHINTO                                                                    SHINTO


                                                      Jumyo (Seki)                                               Kozuke no Kami Fujiwara Jumyo                     Hokkyo Koansai FujiwaraJumyo

                                                               from Fujishiro                                                               from Minoto, Swords and Swordsmiths of Mino Prov., Cox                                               from Fujishiro





                                                        from Minoto Taikan                                                                                     from Minoto Taikan                                                                             from Minoto Taikan




                                                              from AOI-ART                                                                                  from Toko Taikan      Ju20  Ju31